Temperature with a 2405A?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
AC/DC
User
User

Temperature with a 2405A?

Post by AC/DC » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi, I plan to buy a 2205A to measure two voltages, current (clamp), and temperature, so I would have everything in one graph.

It may be my english, but I can't find a product that I could attach to the scope's BNC to measure temperature with a K-type probe.
Probe-->ProperVoltageGenerator-->Scope

Does something like that exist? If not, why not? :-)

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Temperature with a 2405A?

Post by Martyn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:40 am

It is not straightforward to measure thermocouples with an oscilloscope. The attached circuit is an option we suggest when using one of our ADC20/24 loggers which have a +/- 2.5V input, so would work with a scope. however note that the scope only has an 8 bit ADC so resolution of temperature measurements would be poor.
Attachments
Thermocouple.PNG
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

AC/DC
User
User

Post by AC/DC » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for your help & explanation, Martyn. I have a simple ready-build product in mind, something working similar to a current clamp, where +xV represents a current value, maybe even with switchable ranges.
0,1V = 0,1°C
0,01V = 0,1°C
to measure up to 200/2000°C in the 20V range of the scope. That should have good accuracy, right?
If such an "adapter" does not exist I'm a bit surprised, because it can't be so unusual to measure temperature with an oscilloscope? What am I missing?

Searching for options, I found the PeakTech 5180 which logs two K-probes and could export to Excel or AsmData file format (never worked with it). Is there probably a way to combine the Picoscope's data file with the AsmData afterwards?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:58 am

No direct way of combining the data except manually loading it into excel and adjusting for the sampling rates of the two devices.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager